It’s always great to be able to put “As seen in…” on your website, marketing, etc. So how do you get quoted? There are many ways to do this effectively, but my favorite is to be the contrarian. Simply write a letter to the editor of a magazine, website, newspaper, etc.
- Disagree with a survey the magazine or newspaper published. Explain why.
- Disagree with a common belief that they reported in a story.
- Come to the aid of an underdog. If they have reported negatively, give the other side of the coin.
- Talk about common misconceptions covered in an article.
- Make a surprising prediction.
- Point out problems with something that they were saying was beneficial.
- Point out the seedy underbelly of something that is popular right now
It never hurts to compliment them first… before being the contrarian. Write letters regularly and you’ll be surprised at how quickly you will be able to collect “credibility badges.”