If it works… networking is a great use of your time… again, if it works. So let’s talk about a few things that can make it work:
- Don’t just go to “networking events” go to all the other places people gather – education classes, charity gatherings, fitness classes, etc. – you can network any place people gather.
- Have a great Elevator Speech – Go here for my complimentary e-book on creating an effective Elevator Speech
- Start conversations… the one I use is, “Is it the little things that get you, or the big things?” And then I simply tell a 1-minte story about surgery (it ties nicely to investing when done correctly). This never fails to easily get them asking more about what I do.
- It’s NOT a numbers game. It is far better to make a real connection with a few people… than it is to gather 50 business cards.
- Listening is MORE important than talking. People love great listeners, and they remember great listeners.
- Arrive early and leave late. You up your odds of productive conversations.
- Don’t spend too much time with people you know… that is time wasted when your goal is networking.
- Find the wall flowers! These are people desperate for a connection!
- The buffet line is the easiest place to start conversations. So, don’t load your plate… instead come back to the buffet line over and over.
- Make notes about the people you meet. You can use this information to write handwritten notes to follow up the next day. THIS COMBO… personal info and a handwritten note… WILL MAKE YOU A TON OF MONEY!
- Wear something that will get people talking… an unusual tie… flamboyant socks… an interesting name tag (decorate it or write something on it that will get people talking)
Incorporate some of these ideas the next time you go to one of those boring meetings and finally make it pay off!