The mind is a crazy, often irrational, machine… but if you know how to use that irrationality, it can help you get the client to work with you much faster.
Here are 10 Mind Leverage tools that you should be aware of when presenting:
- If you want someone to make a decision quickly, make the thinking easy for them by asking easy questions and using simple concepts.
- If you want people to think about things, make the thinking more difficult. Make them have to work for the solution.
- When you use a simple, coherent story, people will be much more likely to make a decision or take action.
- If you want people to act different from the herd mentality… make a reference to money with words, pictures or actual (even fake) money.
- If you want people to agree with authority and expertise… use a message of death (stories, graphs, tables, etc.)
- If you want someone to accept a higher number… then, 30 seconds to a minute before you bring up that number… mention a higher number that would have to do with something unrelated. This will anchor them to choosing a higher number just a minute later! (use the reverse if you want them to choose a lower number)
- If you want someone to view an idea or thing in a positive light… make it familiar to them. You can use metaphors or similes to do this.
- You can also use repetition to get people to view something in a positive manner. Research has shown that if you keep your message simple and expose them to it to them 5 to 7 times… most people will begin to feel positive about that message.
- If you want someone to think a similar event will occur again… ask them right after that type of event has just happened.
- People will answer much more quickly… and without much thought… if the print is easy to read. Keep this in mind with your seminars! Keep your slides simple and easy to read!