Marketing expert Jeffery Dobkin gives excellent advice on how to get some free advertising through press releases. Here’s what he recommends…
- Call the reporter or editor of the periodical you are targeting and ask them, “Are you the person I should send this release to?”
- When they say yes, or get you to the right person… give them the 30-second pitch of your product or service.
- Thank them and send out your press release to them immediately.
- On your cover letter you should start with, “It was nice speaking with you.”
- Write your Release…
- Have a large header stating, “FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE.”
- Underneath the header add, “For more information: reach out to [your name, email and phone number].”
- Next line, write “No kill date” (meaning you’d like your press release to run indefinitely).
- Then the Headline of your Press Release
- Then your content—there should be no adjectives… if it looks like you are selling something, it’s going in the trash. The content should be newsworthy and beneficial for the reader.
Follow these directions and you will be getting plenty of free press going forward!