Ask every single one of your clients what charities they support… especially what Local charities they support. Are there any charities that seem to pop up often? There most likely is. Get to know those particular charities, because they attract people just like your clients!
This takes work and planning but can end up providing your practice with several “Whale” clients.
You can use this information in so many ways:
- Get involved and participate in those charities
- Volunteer to be on their board
- Let clients know that you are supporting those causes in your newsletters
- Create a fund raiser for one or two charities and sponsor it
- Golf tournament
- Poker tournament
- Walk or run (though I’d do something more fun) … themed
- Chili or soup cook off
- Corn hole tournament
- Dog parade
What do you do when events have made it more difficult to get in front of new people?
Regardless of what is happening in the economy, society, or the market… there is always a reliable way to create new income… our clients’ lives. They have trigger events occurring that create opportunities for you to provide assistance and get paid for it.
These are some of the things that an AARP survey says Boomers have encountered, by percentage:
- 51% Made a major career change
- 40% Gotten a divorce
- 35% Became a grandparent
- 31% Became an empty nester
- 29% Survived a major illness
What value can you provide that leverages any of these issues? A white paper? A webinar or YouTube video? An article in your newsletter? Or, even a postcard or phone call.
These are things that a big chunk of your clientele has experienced… which ALL provide a big emotional punch. And, we all know it is emotions that get people to act… and to buy. Figure out which of these you want to focus on and get busy becoming the irreplaceable resource for your clients… and their referrals!
Here’s how you can both look like a hero and get to know your client’s best friends.
People are trapped in their houses now and miss seeing their friends regularly. Why not host a virtual birthday lunch for your best clients? Their family will probably get together virtually… but not necessarily their friends.
Here’s how you do it:
- Go through your files and figure out who’s having a birthday in the next month
- Call their spouse and tell them you want to host a virtual birthday lunch with their friends
- Let them know you’d like to host a virtual get together (choose Zoom, WebEx, Join.me, or any of the other available platforms)
- You’ll arrange to send lunch to each of the invitees via any of the delivery services
- Is arranging all these deliveries a hassle? YES! So, if you are so busy making money that you don’t have time, don’t do this. But, if you are twiddling your thumbs wondering what you are going to do to drum up business… this is NOT a hassle… it is an investment
- Help their spouse get hold of their friends to set up the online get together
- Create a little menu from the restaurant you have chosen… and send it to all the attendees
- This gives you a reason to begin communicating with these folks to get their lunch orders back
- On the day, send out reminders to all the attendees reminding them that lunch is going to be knocking on their door… so they better be there. 😊
- Begin the meeting and tell everyone why you love your client… and then fade into the background (or even disconnect) and let them engage.
You KNOW that your client is going to sing your praises… and you KNOW that all the attendees are going to wonder why their advisor doesn’t love them… as much as you love your clients! And good things are going to come from that!
Do you care about your community? I know you do, and many advisors do A LOT of volunteer work. If you are, don’t hide it! Make sure your client base, prospects and the community know what you are doing to help them and more importantly, why you are doing it.
You don’t have to brag… instead couch it as:
- How much you love your community
- As a call to action for the rest of the community to take action
- As a way to let others know about the help that is needed
Remember, when it comes to sales… People don’t care how much you know… until they know how much you care.
How are you keeping your clients happy… engaged… and open to talking about you (and what you do) with all their friends and relatives? Why not invite them to a fun and quick get together where you’ll pose some questions, in the form of a quiz? You could give out prizes and make it entertaining.
Why not make it a regular get-together until this whole Covid-19 mess is done?
You could also open it up to a Q&A session about whatever they want to talk about after. Tell them to invite friends and family too?
You can just do your quiz on PowerPoint slides… or there are plenty of online quiz creators out there. Just Google “online quiz creator”. You could even do some research and use quizzes that have already been created. Check out this one from AARP…
Ever wonder why… even though you are
smarter than your competition… they still make more money than you? They aren’t more knowledgeable about
investing… they know more about selling.
Find what they do differently in this sales training video (starting about 16 minutes in).
Who do we want as clients? Centers of Influence… Movers and Shakers…
Thought Leaders… Why? Because they can
become a never-ending source of referrals for us!
But these people are besieged with
people trying to cozy up to them. How do
you cut through the clutter and get their attention? It’s pretty simple… and it only costs around
How much would it be worth having your
town’s movers and shakers singing your praises?
Learn how to do just that in the 7-page guide, Toast of the Town courtesy of 5Q Group.
What sells a
person better? An abstract idea or a concrete
example? A picture or a bunch of
In the video
below, you’ll get a bunch of great ideas on how to quickly demonstrate ideas
that we use with our clients every day.
These “doodles” will have people understanding concepts it used to take
you 10 minutes to explain… and instead, getting your point in less than a
minute. Better yet, they’ll remember
your point much longer too!
Get lots of fun examples in this video (starting at 14:57 into it)
How do you
get someone to take your call… or even better… call you? There are a gazillion fun ways to do this,
but the idea I’ll give you today is simple, easy and professional.
thing you must do is find the year the person was born. If you don’t know… There is plenty of
information on how you can do this online.
always interested about “the good ole days.”
They wonder, what were things like when I was born? You can capitalize on this in a unique way,
by using the site www.papermags.com.
The site has actual magazines from all the way back to the 1930’s.
You can even
tailor the magazine to what you know about the person’s interests, because the
magazines run the gambit…
Now simply attach a handwritten note with a personal message… with a p.s. about wanting to speak to them for just a couple of minutes.
Here’s an example:
Hi John! I see from some of your posts that you enjoy classic cars as much as I do. They just don’t make them like they used to. I thought you might enjoy this Muscle Cars issue from when you were in high school!
p.s. Think you could
spare 10-minutes on the phone because I have a quick idea that could inject a
little more oomph into your “car” account, to buy that Corvette you have your
they will reach out to you to thank you… but almost always, they’ll take your